Gate is the acronym of the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. This examination is conducted to determine the understanding level of the Graduate level subjects in Engineering and Science for the students.
In case you are wondering why should you take up the GATE exam then let’s find out the reasons below:
- A good GATE score helps you to seek admission for MTECH/ ME/ MSC in a good university.
- GATE score is taken as a qualifying criterion for many Government sector jobs like PSUs and Government companies like Indian Oil, GAIL, Hindustan Petroleum, etc.
- The GATE score helps in your research career. It helps you in getting through the research positions in educational institutes and the R&D centres.
- The GATE score helps you to demand a higher pay package from the recruiting companies.
- Some foreign universities consider the GATE score as one of their eligibility criteria, and with a GATE score, you can seek admission there even though you don’t have a good GRE score.
Now that you know how vital the GATE exam is, let’s find some of the essential facts about the GATE 2021 examination so that you can make necessary preparations to clear the exam:
Important dates – Gate 2021 Exam dates
Let’s check the important dates on Gate 2021:
|GATE 2021 registration starts and release of online application form||1st Week of September 2020|
|Last date of GATE registration||4th Week of September 2020|
|Last date of form submission with late fee||1st week of October 2020|
|Expected examination date||1st and 2nd week of February 2021|
|Admit issue date||1st Week of January 2021|
|Correction window opens||Last week of September 2020|
|Answer key release||3rd Week of February 2021|
|Result announcement||3rd week of March 2021|
|Score card release date||Last week of March 2021|
Gate 2021 Application form
The application form will be available in the online portal of Gate Online Application Processing System or GOAPS. The form needs to be appropriately filled by the student, and all essential details must be mentioned correctly. You need to check out the cut-off dates. If the student fills the form during the late admission period, he will need to pay a fine of 500 rs.
Follow the below steps for the form filling procedure.
- Firstly the candidate needs to create his registration. This can be done quickly by visiting the GOAPS site then he needs to enter all relevant details like full name, email id, correspondence address, phone number, etc. An enrolment number gets generated which shall be used throughout the application process
- Secondly, the candidate needs to fill the application form correctly with the information requested. He also needs to choose the examination center and the date of the exam per his convenience
- He needs to upload his relevant documents as proof of his records.
- Then he needs to pay the fee online. Note that the application fee or GATE depends on your gender caste and on the fact your exam center is situated in India or abroad. If you belong to the general category and if you are a male and want to appear in the exam center of India, then you will need to pay an amount of 1500Rs as the application fee. However, if you are a female or belong to the SC/ST caste and if you want to appear in an Indian exam center, you will need to pay Rs. 750 as the application fee. On the other hand, if you choose the Dubai and Singapore exam centers, you will need to pay 100 US dollars for the exam fees. If your exam center is in Columbia, Dhaka or Kathmandu, you will need to pay an examination fee of 50 dollars. The payment can be processed through debit card, credit card, or net banking.
- As the last step, the application form needs to be submitted.
Gate 2021 Exam fees:
|Exam center in India||Application Fee||Fees during the extended period|
|Female candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|SC/ST/PWD* candidates||Rs. 750||Rs. 1250|
|All Other candidates||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
|Exam centers outside India||Application Fee||Fees during the extended period|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
GATE 2021 examination pattern and preparation tips for students:
GATE examination is meant for checking the analytical, comprehension, academic, and problem-solving skills. The test is computer-based and consists of both multiple-choice questions and numerical answer type questions. The duration of the examination is that of 3 hours, and in the three hours, you should aim to obtain the maximum score in the exam. It would help if you remembered that General aptitude is common to all papers. In the GATE examination, you will find ten questions about the general ability of a maximum of 15 marks. Depending on the subject you chose, there will be around 65 questions on the topic selected, and you need to obtain maximum marks of 85 over there.
The multiple-choice question has negative marking, and hence you should avoid guesswork here and should attempt to answer the items where you are sure of the answers.
To ace the examination you can take help of the below tips:
- Start an early preparation– When you have made up your mind to appear for the GATE exam, you must start the preparation process early. You should 1st select a study plan. You must consider if you will take admission to a coaching institute or study on your own. Based on this, you should prepare a strategy for acing the exam
- Know your syllabus and strengths: You should be aware of the examination pattern and the syllabus before you start preparing. The past question banks can help you a lot in the preparation process
- Fix a study schedule and work hard: you must fix a study schedule and stick to it. Proper planning will help you to crack this examination with ease.
Gate 2021 Syllabus
The complete details of the GATE 2021 syllabus can be obtained online. You can find the curriculum as per the subjects. So you can know the syllabus for General Aptitude, Biomedical Engineering, Statistics, Biotechnology, Chemical engineering, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, etc.
General aptitude is common to all papers, and it remains the same on all papers of the GATE syllabus the rest you can check out the syllabus of the paper that you are eligible for.
Gate 2021 admit card:
It is expected that the admit card for GATE 2021 will be released by 1st week of January 2021. Candidates need to login to gate.iitb.ac.in with their enrolment id and password and download the admit card. In’ case you forget your id and password, it can be easily retrieved by clicking on ‘the forgot password’ option. It will help if you take a print out for future reference.
Cracking the Gate 2021 can be a tough business but, once you clear this exam you will have an ocean full of opportunities in front you. Hence, gear up and start your preparation soon.